View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
70stroker

Re: BBC Build and Questions.

Thanks man I am for sure taking it to the machinist to line bore and check the block out. Also that kit comes with the flexplate and all and is pre balanced, that was another selling point to be because the local shop charges 175 to do that alone.

So with that scat bottom end and my heads, which i still need to find out the casting numbers, and a decent cam, the 177 blower what am i looking at power wise?

And not your right im not looking to kill everybody in town down the 1/4. I would however like to run a low 13s. With the stock bottom end that hasnt been opened up since 75 and a cam that was not for a blower and stock heads i ran a 14.2 so ya I guess what i am sayin is for the 3500 or so im looking to spend i would like to drop around a second off my 1/4..... that sound like a decent and achievable goal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw72 View Post
70stroker,

I've been down this big block road once or twice here lately and to be honest.....this is my most valuable input. It doesn't look like you are trying to kill every bit of the competition so here is my input and exactly what I would do....

Keep your heads and have them reconditioned. Add springs to them that match whichever cam you go with. That takes care of the heads. I can suggest a decent aluminum head but with BBC, you get what you pay for. Those pro-comp heads are trot line weights. Cast in china and very unreliable. A good aluminum head is going to break your budget unfortunately but AFR, DART and BRODIX are good quality heads.

Depending on how much damage is done to your current bottom end, it might be safe to go ahead and purchase the Scat kit. If it were just a regular rebuild, I would even sway away from that. BBC short blocks are much stronger than some people give credit. Stud the mains, line bore the block and put a 7/16 rod bolt in the rods. It will take a ton of horsepower all day long. But not knowing the condition of your short block, hard to tell. I don't replace unless it's broken but that's just me. If your short block can be saved to save a little money, I would go that route.

Be sure to calculate machine work into your budget.....that machine work adds up.....Bore cylinders, hone cylinders, line bore, vat and cleanup, balance ect...ect....before you know it that budget will be gone! There's a reason for the issue so I would have a good machinist check that block out unless you feel comfortable doing it with your tools. Good luck...
70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote