View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #25
383Ram

Re: Engine Starves for Fuel When I Hit Second Gear

VERY good point about the gauge. I only use under hood type gauges and i rarely use any external gauge to see what its actually doing for a pass--unless there is a problem. I just always set it for idle and forget about it---mainly because if it MPH's good down track, i know its making power and getting good fuel to the motor. And i guess what i assumed about the gauge should have been asked.

I do know you are also very correct about the pressure dropping off the line then recovering down track. My experience shows a mechanical pump (typical holley or carter) will push 4-6psi by the end of track. Obviously there are always going to be exceptions.

But, while 2-3 psi at idle is fuel delivery as you say, and i also agree that you can get quite far down the track with just the fuel in the bowls, right now my belief is that the 2-3 psi is probably next to nothing by second gear. Its just my gut feeling and i have no proof, so i am not going to start peeing around here either.

So i guess my next question is to the OP, what are your next steps to figure this out?

If it were me, id plumb that gauge into something that has known good fuel pressure to see if its the gauge---of course this will work much better if you have a friend that has a working gauge in their car for comparison---or go buy a cheap check gauge from the store.

If possible, i second the carb swap. I never owned a BG carb, but everyone of the 5 i have touched to try and tune for others always still had issues--they look nice, but thats about it in my opinion.

I can only assume your gauge is near the carb inlet. If this is the case, and you tried the other things, then try a new pump.

Let us know the details.

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote