View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #36
Rodms

Re: Engine Starves for Fuel When I Hit Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
BTW, you can have fuel delivery with no pressure (as you said,, simply freeflowing out the end of the open tube) but you can not have pressure without delivery. Even at the car wash with the tiny orifice, the water is being delivered at high pressure, low volume, but delivery no matter. The same is true in your fuel system. If it's restricted with an orifice then sure, delivery would be WAY down. But the needle and seat is not much of a restriction. at least no more restriction at 2psi than it is at 10psi.

I'm gonna stand by my guns here and say even at 2psi you have delivery sufficient to carry a 400HP motor through 5 to 8 seconds. And more likely if the float bowls are full when you launch,,,, you have enough fuel to carry the motor WELL into 3rd gear and nearing the 12-13 second finish line before she starts to stumble.

Without a doubt I've been wrong before and could be very wrong here. But I think your 2nd gear issue is going to still be there when you replace the fuel pump. And don't get me wrong. I'm not saying 2psi is acceptable and that there isn't something wrong with your pump / fuel delivery. Just saying there is MORE going on than just fuel pump.
Earlier you said it was not holding pressure,have you checked your fuel lines?If its any hole it can suck air as well,and your pressure will be low,I would think you should have 6 to 8 at the gauge before the carb.