View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Re: BBC Build and Questions.

What rpm are you planning on spinning this thing up to? IMO that blower is just an added accessory, I don't think its gonna do a lot for what you think you are gonna get out of it. but it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.. a 177 just doesn't have the cfm for a big block.
in saying that though, it will work so-so if you run normal rpm (not more then 5000) even then, that thing is not gonna last long, to generate a few lbs of boost (2-3), that thing will have to be be overdriven at least 200% which means it will be spinning in the ball park of 10,000 rpms. good-bye life expectancy! thats why guys run 8-71 blowers on most big blocks (I had an 8-71 for mine).
I think there would be less headache with just uping the compression, running naturally asperated, and you'd be really only be a few hp shy of that 177... I'm sure of it!
don't forget, it takes hp to turn a blower, eventhough that one is small. be prepared to buy at least 5 different pullies and spend much time messing around with it and baby sitting it so it doesn't blow up or keep sliping the belt because it's turning so fast.
sorry to sound negative but you wanted advice.. so I say sell that blower to someone with a 350 and buy a stroker crank.. this way you not only have more hp, but you will also be upgrading parts by strengthening your bottom end. and you'll still have money in your pocket to buy more tires...
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote