View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Re: Engine Starves for Fuel When I Hit Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
You need a middle of the road heat range here. I'd HIGHLY suggest you use a Champion RC12YC plug (that's stock #71 for the parts counter jocky) or equavelent.

If Autolite is your favorite flavor,,, it's an 3923, or if you can find them the AC Delco FR3LS woulkd be the best plug IMPO, but it's all dependant on compression.
Currently the heads have Autolite 3923. Originally, I put in a set of Champion RC12YC plugs that fouled out while I was tuning the idle circuits. Then I put in a set of RC9YCs that fouled out while I was tuning the idle circuits. That led to the 3923s which fouled out once again while tuning the idle circuits only this time I cleaned them off with aluminum oxide sand paper and reinstalled them. I chanced to drive by an Autozone after church and they were out of the RC12YCs and didn't carry the AC Delco FR3LS plugs. I declined to buy more of the 3923s. If you think I need to, I can order the AC's or Champion plugs from my NAPA store tomorrow.
Edit: The few times I drove the truck before I had it painted, it was doing the same 2nd gear stall with the RC12YCs and RC9YCs. So I don't think that's the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
and while were looking at the ignition... please tell me yuo don't have on of the MDS blaster2 coils
I'm running the 50,000 volt coil that came in the cap of my distributor. It's a billet aftermarket unit manufactured in Australia, IIRC.

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 10-18-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote