View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
'72customdeluxe

Re: Any hot 305s here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyreep1 View Post
I have a 307 in my 71 c10 that blew a 70's 350 Monte Carlo outta the water, totally stock. I would'nt say dont bother, I was just lookin at the HP charts and after 71 the horses just bottom out. My 71 307 has about 25 less HP than a 79 with a 440 big block.
440 chrysler? That sounds like you're comparing your gross horsepower to later net horsepower. Big difference. Most people say not to bother with a 305 because a 350's 4" bore breathes better. But it's not breathing by itself, under boost your heads matter more. You could go with forged pistons and heads ment for larger engines (bigger than 58 cc's, what's normally on 305's) for a really low compression then boost the crap out of it.. Put the smallest top and biggest bottom pulley they make for it on there. What is it, a Weiand/B&M 144? One thing I would think about is water jacket rot being a boat motor. Did it use fresh water or a heat exchanger for cooling? As far as fast 305's in general, a hot set up now is vortec heads, mild cam, and a good intake manifold for just over 350 horsepower and lb/ft of torque