View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #85
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 5.7 TBI in an 86????? Anyone done this swap??

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvaquero59 View Post
Too bad I didn't catch this thread earlier. I am doing an almost identical swap into my '71. And, we're about to the same stage. Mine's driveable but the wiring isn't 100% done. There's one difference I'm glad of, though: my donor was a '92 Caprice cop car so my VSS has both the electric and mechanical sending units at the transmission. I can hook up a speedo cable to my factory speedo but I'm installing a full set of Autometer gauges in my dash so I'll be going with an Autometer electric speedo when I get to that point.

Right now, my biggest hurdles are: TCC wired into my brake switch, ALDL/SES wiring and the gauges, which are important but sort of separate from the swap itself.

Don't know if it's the right thing to do or not, but I just left the A.I.R. pump installed in the serpentine setup with nothing connected to it. I'm running headers so hooking up the lines was out of the question, anyway.

I'm running a carb-style air filter with the IAT temperature sensor mounted to the base plate. I had to use a 1" spacer on top of the TBI spacer for clearance of the coil but I have no issues with the wiring since it still uses the factory spacer underneath the aftermarket one.

I also used the factory wiring harness. I de-loomed everything and spent many hours (I'm no EE but wish I was!) isolating and removing circuits I didn't want/need. That hardened gel GM used at the bulkhead connector was a particular PITA. I used a heat gun to soften it and scraped it all off with a utility knife. As I recall, the circuits/sensors I left in place were: O2 sensor, CTS, knock sensor, IAC, IAT, TPS, oil pressure, TCC, VSS and A/C.

I called up Brian at tbichips.com and had him custom burn me a chip for my 6965 (the same ECM you've got). I told him exactly what I was keeping and eliminating (smog stuff, mostly) and he burned me a chip with a little hotter than stock specs but I already had "cop car," specs to begin with so he cautioned me it wouldn't be a huge performance gain. But, then again, even the 9C1 police optioned Caprices were only factory rated at 205 hp!

I re-loomed everything I had left with a Summit wire loom kit (pretty cheap and looks great) then fabbed my own (probably not weatherproof) bulkhead seal. When I'm all finished, I'll probably silicone over the wires passing through the bulkhead.

So, if you don't mind since you seem to have expert advise, I'd like to ask what is the function of the VSS module located in the dash cluster in about the center of the Caprice? That's something I didn't realize was there until after I'd gotten rid of the car and one of the wires coming off the VSS is supposed to connect to it. Did it have anything to do with cruise control? Does it serve an important function and do I need to go source one from a JY or can I eliminate that wire? As I recall, there were 3 wires coming off that VSS and the other two are connected to their proper places.

Finally, my old fuse panel only has about 8 or 9 glass fuses and one spade terminal for an unfused ignition hot source. Oh, and one or two spade terminals for constant battery power. I've already wired 3 different EFI-related circuits (with correct-amperage in-line fuses) to these terminals and I still have a couple more circuits that require ignition-hot voltage. Is there a clean way to build a separate fuse panel or buss bar that provides ignition-hot voltage? Maybe a supplemental fuse panel or something? I've checked vendors who specialize in hot rod electrical and haven't found what I'm looking for.
Sounds like you have got your swap pretty well completed. I would love to see some pics of how you did yours. The biggest single regret I have is, not re-doing the harness, mostly because of fear of screwing up everything.(wiring is my weakest area of work). The fact is I ended up with a bunch of extra wires that won't be used. I still need to figure out how to mount the ecm like the 87 and up trucks hopefully.
BTW, what are the 3 circuits you fused ?I only had 2 if I remember right, well the fuel pump had one already with the donor harness. I would do like Cableguy suggested and snag an under hood buss and relay center from pull a part or similar. Let me know if you find a way to replace the air pump.

I still lack the speedo (autometer sounds awesome if you have $$$$$), the A/C, Park/N switch. We installed new shocks on the front tonight. New brakes tomorrow. We are looking for some economical wheels and tires. It is almost safe to drive! Here is the build up cost for anyone interested:
Truck $600
Donor $300
Exhaust gasket bolts $50
Fuel Pump $155
Fuel Pump install kit $20
Fuel Filter $10
Fuel lines $25
F/I clamps $8
U-Joint Clamps $5
Tranny mount $17
High pressure P/S line $18
Oil Change $18