View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Re: Need some engine advice and suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdog28 View Post
Pull the plugs and regap to recommended for forced ind. You have Dart heads so you will want to get the recommended spark plugs for those heads. You really should have a temp for the eng and a boost reg. For the Fuel pump, is it internal? look at it and pull some # if any are on it. A fast way to find out Gear ratio, but not exact, mark the drive shaft and tires (top or bottom) roll the truck fwd and count the 3 of rotations on each. This is lots easier then pulling off the cover.
I've got the recommended plugs (autolite ar3933), just wondering what other people thought about them. I'm getting ready to change the FPR to a boost referenced one as soon as I figure out which one I want (I currently have a Holley Black pump). I have a 3.73 gear ratio, would a 4.11 be better with my motor and tranny combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
I agree with the bypass valve (especially if you ever wind it to 7500rpm) and boost referencing the fuel pump. But since you have over 622hp by 5400rpm, no need to wind it that tight! As for the plugs, I'd call Vortec and Dart and see what they say about the gap. Seems like you have a stout ignition system, so I'm sure they will need to know exactly what you're running so they can recommend the right gap.

As for converter/gears, I'm guessing that 2800 stall is probably a little higher behind that 6xx ft-lb, and maybe a little over 3000-3200? For that 276 cam, that is probably about right and easier to deal with on the street than a 4000rpm stall, which would be a beast. I would leave that alone as long as you're happy with the launches. Again, with over 600ft-lbs 3.73's are fine in my opinion, since it's not a race only truck.

I know you just put pipes on that badboy (I'm subscribed to your build thread), but maybe later a 3" exhaust is in order? That's a LOT of ponies huffing out those 2.5" pipes! Then again, you may not want to deal with the extra noise? What size are your header primaries?? They should probably be in the 1.75"-1.875" range with all that muscle. what headers was it dynoed with?
I'm going to add the bypass valve as soon as I figure out which one to get. I have a MSD BTM that has a 6K rev limiter in it, so I won't be reving it that high. I'm pretty sure I have 1.75" primaries and I'm going to add some electric cutouts soon so I'll have the best of both worlds, .

R/
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote