View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #23
Hart_Rod

Re: Need some engine advice and suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave brode View Post
Rob,

You will need a boost referenced pump. You need to have fuel pressure rise [from your base fp setting] 1 lb for each lb of boost.

The box and a carb hat function the same way. They both pressurize the carb. The hat also pressurized the bowls through the vent tubes. The box just makes fuel leakage from the throttle shafts a non-issue.

I do not believe that the black pump is capable of supplying enough fuel. If you run, say 8 psi boost, and a 7 psi, you'll need a pump that'll give you enough fuel flow at 15 psi fuel pressure. The pump will probably go 15 psi, but it will not flow well at that pressure.

Most experts will say that a high pressure pump setup with a return style regulator is the best setup.

Nice truck, btw.

Dave
Thanks for the info Dave. I agree on the return style regulator. I'm looking at some aeromotive stuff right now. I'll post links for some opinions later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild83C10 View Post
If you are getting blow bye you need a vacuum pump to pull pressure from the crank case. There are a few ways to go about this. You can spend $500+ on a belt driven vacuum pump/system or you can try an electric vacuum pump similar to what the mustang cobras run or you can see if a simple PCV system will work (closed valve cover breathers with a hose connected to a oil seperator then connect that to a port on the intake hose before the SC).

I hadn't thought of that. Way to think outside the box, .

I imagine vortec should have included a BOV (blow-off-valve) but it doesn't appear they do. I would recommend a 50mm X02 BOV, they are cheap and they work. This should keep you SC happy and your carb. When the throttle blades close the SC is still spinning and building boost, but the boost has no where to go so it will try and exit from somewhere by pushing passed your throttle blades or other parts of your carb, it will also build up back pressure on the SC.

Any suggestions on where to buy one of those BOV? Summit? Jegs?

As far as a boost reference fuel pump or regulator it doesn't matter if it's a mustang or a chevy pickup. For every pound of boost you need more fuel. I would imagine you need a boost referenced pump or reg. Call vortec back and tell them you have a 351 cleveland in a 89 mustang with this SC setup and you want to know what fuel pump they recommend. Then just buy one that has similiar specs. Do you have an AFR guage? I highly recommend one.

I don't have an AFR but will look into one.

Yes I would install some type of "cold air" setup. I'll see what I can come up with.

If the engine runs cool and no over heating issues then I wouldn't change anything. Adding the thermostat was a good move, 180 is probably the best temp.

I was suprised at how much difference the 180 made. I was having a problem with my plugs fouling really quickly before I put it in.

29" tall tire is a decent size tire and you may need 4.11, but I would drive the truck and run it at the track first before making any gear changes.
That makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
From the Vortec site:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=138

Read the "please note" section.
There's a lot of stuff in there, what exactly were you referring to?

Quote:
You "could" run a this pump, or a similar mechanical dead-headed [non return style system]. They offer a boost reference fitting option. Imo, this would be marginal, as you would be at the edge of the pump's pressure capacity at 7 psi fp and 7 psi boost.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...chevy1100.html

Fwiw, I would buy more pump that you need, and do a return style system. A few seconds of detonation from running lean will destroy a supercharged engine quicker than it will a mild N/A'd deal.

Dave
Thanks again Dave. Since I already have an electric pump, I will probably stay with one.

Quote:
Here is a good site for blow-through info, both turbocharged and centrifigul super-charged.

Beware: Study and search, and study more before asking questions. I would start with the newbie forum.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php

Dave
Great Site! That's what I've been looking for, . I'm going to have a long night tonight......

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 11-18-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote