View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
IAFF2407

Re: any ideas for headliner in suburban

I used abs plastic, traced out the existing panel. the back sections were easy and the side curves gave it strength. The front was more difficult because of the compound curves. I upholstered mine so I worked the front differently then non upholstered ones. I installed the front panel and marked the stress point of the curves (tried a heat gun first) then pulled the panel and cut a slver out at the marks wide enough so they wouldn't overlap. then re-installed the panel. when I was happy with the fit I glued a strip across the front and corners to hold it in place.

for my burb I'm trying to eliminate as much noise as possible. I first used dynamat, then glued 3/8" high density foam. I installed a stip of sheet metal to attach a custom console later. I glued 1/4" HD foam to the new panels and then another layer of 1/4" soft foam. and then a layer of man made leather. I used a heat gun to form the ABS plastic to the right curve, this is so the upholstery won't wrinkle when installed.

for the bows I used 1/8" stainless steel bands, attatch to the factory bows to hold the heavier panels up. I don't like how many screws were needed to hold them up tight so in the future I will be buy 1/4" bands, take one of the supports down and form the SS to the right curve. this will eliminate all but the center screw.

TIPS;
buy the HD foam in rolls (ebay) not folded! the creases in the folded foam will have to be steamed out (if it can) or it will show through the upholstery.

I used two layers of ABS because of the extra weight of the foam.

make sure you sand all glossy areas of the ABS and HD foam for the best adheision.

Clear coat the stainless steel, looks better and easier to keep clean.

this maybe not the direction you are going, but others have asked. sorry if I hijack your thead,

Al.
Attached Images