View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #178
AJs72K5

Re: AJ's '72 Cruiser Crawler Build

Update 12/05/09: The motor mount crossmember plan. Did a lot of thinking the past couple of days on how to handle the headers not fitting with the DIY4x crossmember. I didn't want to cut the headers...if I ever needed a new set, I'd be looking at customizing them again. I wasn't crazy about going back to a factory crossmember either. So, like any good K5 owner with a build thread, I figured I'd fab my way out of it.

Headers on, you can see that I'm roughly 1 1/8" away from seating the crossmember to the mounts.

So, I trimmed the flange down 1". I'll have to redrill the top holes, but that's no biggie. Why didn't I seat the crossmember all the way? I'm going to have Kert fab up some new motor mount brackets that will raise the engine 9/16".

Still not there yet, but I already knew this. Next, I'm gonna push the frame boxes deeper into the frame by 1/4" and put a spacer in between the flange and the frame box. This is how I should end up clearance-wise. There's about 1/8" - 1/4" between the header and the frame box. The pic just has a scrap piece of 1/4" steel to represent the clearance of the new spacer.

I'm happy with how it turned out. So, I took another picture of the motor... with the real camera this time.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote