Thread: 4 link
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
Mindliss Metalfab

Re: 4 link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I'm no engineer but cutting the holes and stuffing the multiple pipes through is a 'look' thing and I KNOW it takes away from the strength of the 2x3 tubing
I suppose its a good thing I am then eh?

Anyways there are a few reasons for using all the holes/tubing in the parts aside from looks. The backhalf is not constructed from 2x3 or 2x4 tube, its actually laser cut 1/4" plate that has been boxed and welded. The tubes help to align the inner and out panels. because you are connecting the side profiles, there is less chance for the frame to distort when welding all the edges solid.

As for the holes making it weaker, well the tubes are all fully welded, its not just holes cut through plate. Also the weight of the truck is supported at the air bags which are very close to the cab. So the majority of the backhalf will only be supporting the fuel cell and box weight.

The pivot points are quite rigid when everything is bolted together. The gussets are 3/8 thick.

I don't foresee any issues with the lower links buckling from the weight of the truck. They are reinforced internally so they are essentially 3/8" thick.

The suspension actually performs very well. Looking at it everyone assumes it would need a tremendous amount of pressure. Truthfully the watts link maxes out at about 10" of travel and only about 70 psi is needed to max it out (with no box). Its definitely not designed for towing or anything like that but this truck is being built as a weekend driver/show truck and with the custom valved bilstein 7100s going in the back it should ride quite nice.

I have a few more pics on my site and will start updating again soon once i start on the shock install.
http://www.mindlissmetal.com/gallery/current-projects/

Last edited by Mindliss Metalfab; 12-18-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Mindliss Metalfab is offline   Reply With Quote