View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 02:42 AM   #88
1949gmc

Re: 1972 Blazer - 'Bullet' Project

I started off on the cab mount with a repop piece, too, but it didn't have the correct angle where it welds to the inner cab support, so I went with a used GM piece. I've seen pics where vt and jaros did what you're attempting to do, but it looks like a pita. I found that it was hard enough welding that cab mount when it was on the bench.... still in the truck would be near impossible for me. Remember: that lower A pillar patch is going to dictate how well and where your outer rocker is placed. Too high and the door will hit the rocker, too low and you'll have a huge gap. It's 26 3/4" from the front upper fender bolt (in the cowl) to the center of the lower fender mount hole (in the a pillar).

You asked if you'd be better off changing the whole cab mount or just patching it. I changed the whole mount because I had to... they were non-existent on my truck. To change the whole mount you have to: a) drill out all of the spot welds between the floor and the cab mount. b) drill out all of the spot welds between the reinforcement plate and the cab mount/inner cab mount and remove the reinforcement plate (this is easiest done when there is no floor in the way). c) drill out the four spot welds between the cab mount tabs/ears and the vertical section of the inner cab mount. d) drill out the four spot welds between the cab mount and the horizontal section of the inner cab mount (this is easiest done when that little spacer is not in the way). To make a long story longer, I think the way you're doing it is the best way if the rest of the mount is in ok shape, which is probably why vtblazer and jaros did their's this way. You may have to go thru a few of those mounts, though, to get the angle of your cut right. Hey, let's face it, if it was easy, our wives would be doing it. Kidding... just kidding.

Last edited by 1949gmc; 12-20-2009 at 03:02 AM.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote