View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #191
AJs72K5

Re: AJ's '72 Cruiser Crawler Build

UPDATE 01/01/10: Drivetrain relocation. What better way to ring in the new year than to spend the afternoon at the shop working on the truck? I couldn't think of a better one. Onto the good stuff. By drivetrain relocation I mean: getting the engine off the stand; getting the tranny off of the floor; and putting them where they're supposed to be.... in the truck!

First I had to reintroduce the engine and the tranny... they've been separated for quite some time and it was an arranged marriage after all.

Now to consummate the marriage...

To quote Mr. Happy Gilmore, "This is your home. Don't you wanna go to your home? GO TO YOUR HOME!!" It was a battle getting the engine in. The master cylinder and booster had to be removed, then I had to remove the motor mount brackets from the block to get it to clear the crossmember mounts. The fresh paint on the oil pan took a beating. It'll have to be repainted.

Finally settled in.

Driver side header fits well. No clearance issues.

The passenger side...not so good. The number 6 tube is hitting the shackle. The number 8 tube within a milllimeter or two of the firewall. Worst of all, the collector flange is not playing nice with the clocked up transfer case. This header is going to require a bunch of rework. Can't really tell in this pic, oh well.

The good news is that with the work I had done on the firewall, and even with raising up the engine 9/16", everything on the engine still clears and looks good. The distributor clearance is the only remaining question now...I was too tired to check.

All in all, it was a great way to start the year!

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote