View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
Pyrotechnic

Re: Fuel system design

I just got done doing the flow test and the results are good.

This is with the Holley blue pump, drawing fuel through the stock pickup tube, through a mesh screen filter, pumping the fuel through the stock fuel line, and then through a paper filter. This was a simple free flow test to see just how much of a restriction the stock fuel system and my filters were.

I had a bucket marked off at a gallon, and my dad watching it with a stop watch. When the fuel hit the bucket, the clock was started, and it was stopped when the level reached 1 gallon.

It took 37 seconds to fill the bucket. All the math aside, that come out to 97 GPH. Holley rates that pump at 110 GPH free flow, so the fuel system is a restriction to a small degree, but this pump has the power to maintain flow rate through it.

Of course this is free flow, but even at 7 PSI the pump is capable of 95 GPH. Adding the restriction of the system will lower that slightly, but even then that's enough flow for a very powerful motor. I'll also be adding the sump to the tank which will gravity feed the pump, and the new lines won't have any funky bends.

Knowing this real world data, I am going to use 3/8 stainless steel tubing along the frame.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 01-08-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote