View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #16
sav300

Re: Thoughts on my new motor build

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
First off are we building a 6" rod 355 or a 6" rod 383 ? I guess the assumtion is 383 ? Oh Hyper pistons are worst than cast IMO .
Building a 6" rod 355. Also my heads are from an 88 corvette, 58cc combustion chambers with 1.94 and 1.50 valves. Since I have time before the season starts up I might see if I could shop around for a different pair of heads that are decently price with what I need. As for the cam, well I'm not sure if summit will let me return it and get the correct one, but I will look into it.

And I can clearly see that Marv had one heck of an issue with the Hyper pistons, but what am I missing that makes them so bad in your eyes? I know they are in no way better than forged, but I ask due to another 355 I have. It is in an 84 chevy 4x4 with stock crank and rods (all blueprinted) corvette 58cc heads, and KB hypereutectic pistons. The motor has about 20,000 miles on the rebuild and went through one cam (number 5 intake lobe and lifter was destroyed). Before switching to a less agressive cam, I had a healthy one in her, the pistons have withheld 6,500RPM shift points and 110 Octane for this long. It's my daily driver that gets to see the track occasionally and I haven't had an issue yet. Did I get lucky or whats the deal???

Thanks for all your input so far guys.

Thomas
sav300 is offline   Reply With Quote