View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #107
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: Show us your projects

My current project is a '54 GMC 1-ton. I'm building the truck to pull my car trailer. I plan to use a Cadillac 500 with TH 400 and a GM 14-bolt at the rear with a '72 Chevy C20 IFS at the front.

This is the truck.

It's an original Hydra-Matic dually. The motor runs terrible and the transmission shifts clunky. It also has a 70's type sunroof and the seat pan has been removed. I don't think its a candidate for restoration.

But since the Hydra-Matic frame is special I'm using this truck, another '54 GMC as a frame donor. This cab isn't as nice as it looks.

This picture is the frame pushed out in the yard for a bath. You can see the IFS mocked-up on the front and the 14-bolt in place at the rear.

In this picture I've almost completed mounting the IFS and power steering box.

Ignore the red lines and text, I accidentally saved those while dialoging with my brother about some details of the project.

Since that picture was taken I've disassembled the rear springs to clean them up and correct some wear issues. Once I have them back in place I'll take some final measurements and then commit to the mounting location for the IFS.

And once both front and rear suspension are complete I'll mount a cab (probably the white one) and start working on the location and mounts for the motor and trans.

Thanks for looking!