View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
bwood

Re: 99 S10 Blazer 4x4 Rear Brake Problems

Well it looks like I got it. I may have been dealing with multiple issues. I picked up a master cylinder yesterday and put it on today. It seemed to actually make it worse. When I put the old MC in the vise to check it out, the port for the rears was weak, I could hold the pressure with my finger and keep it from shooting out. The new one, well, it was strong enough to shoot the threaded plastic plug out. Both ports on the new one seemed like it should. Installed it, bled it all again and then the rears were so tight, it was like I was holding the brake. I would barely move, and before it would move, just felt like the parking brake was on. So, I scratched my head for a while and began to question the stainless braided line that goes from the MC to the ABS controller, but changed my mind and went to the rear calipers. Cracked the bleeder and used a C-clamp and loosened it up and removed it. Took it to the bench dumped the old fluid out, put the air hose on it with 145 psi and the piston wouldn't budge. Kept on but still nothing. Ended up taking a drift punch and reaching in the fluid inlet and forcing the piston out and trying the air again. Finally got it out and low and behold, the phenolic piston was deteriorated and the bore was full of debris. Pulled the other side, with the same results. Trip to Oreilly for two calipers and some more bleeding, and all is good. This one really kicked my rear. I hate messing with brakes, I always end up pissed and broke with brake fluid stains all over the drive way. While this Blazer has been sitting in my driveway, the water pump started leaking, battery died, alt started growling and both the idler & tensioner pulleys had to be replaced. Not to mention I replaced the rear center brake hose. I never concidered the calipers as I didn't believe both would fail at the same time. Tomorrow I'm taking the alt and batt to Oreilly's as they are both under warranty and hopefully I can get to all the oil changes on everything else. I replaced the water pump this morning.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F

Last edited by bwood; 02-21-2010 at 12:03 AM.
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote