View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #20
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: How Did you organize your tool chest/tool cart?

Before I built my shop I had a bunch of small tool boxes and had a lot of trouble keeping track of tools. Since building a shop a few years ago I've bought a big roll-away and moved most the tools into it.

While some of the drawers have more than one kind of tool in them, each kind of tool has its own specific place. I don't have a lot metric wrenches or sockets, and they are all in one drawer. I have lots of SAE wrenches and sockets so each of those occupies a drawer.

Tools for working on electrical are all in one drawer. Drill bits and other cutting tools are all in one drawer. Measuring tools are all in one drawer.

Since I often leave things laying where I last used them its far from perfect, but its become rare that I buy another tool because I can't find the one I'm sure I already have. It also means I spend much less time looking for tools since I almost always clean up when I finish a project and otherwise things are pretty much in the roll-away in the correct drawer. I hope...

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote