View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
OYMC
Account Suspended

Custom 1987 GMC Crew Cab Short Bed

Axle spring perch time!

The rear springs I am using are 56" long, 6" lift skyjacker soft ride leaf springs. Because the front springs are 8" lift springs, I will be adding 2 1/2" to my new rear spring perches to level the truck out.

To do this you should first measure the distance between the top of the original spring perch to the top of the axle housing. Most of your stock perches should be around a 1/2" for this measurement.

Next you want to make a decision as to how deep the perch will set over the axle housing. I decided to drop mine 2" over the top of my axle housing.

Now, you have 1/2" of original spring perch height + 2" of mounting depth + 2 1/2" of additional lift = 5" of overall Material height.

Most Chevy leaf springs are 2 1/2" wide, so the optimal spring perch material for this perch would be 2 1/2" (Wide) X 5" (Height) X 8" (Long) X 1/4 (Thick) mild steel Box tubing.

The length of you spring perch should be around 8". The extra length helps to prevent axle wrap.

My perches are made from 2" X 5" X 8" X 5/16" Box tubing material with 1/4" end caps. I spread the base of the perch to 2 1/2" to give it a more custom look.

If you weld end caps to your perches make sure you leave an opening for ventilation. Moisture can get into the spring perch leaf spring guide pin hole, and over time weaken your welds from oxidation. I always spray the inside of anything that has been boxed with galvanized spray. This will help prevent oxidation and galvanized spray won't melt or catch on fire from the excessive heat while welding.
Attached Images