View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #152
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

One step forward, 2 steps back.

I've still been @ it but haven't really made 'progress' because I'm doing stuff twice. I was reading through various threads & came across one for "c-notches".... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=393867

There was some excellent info being discussed & shared & board member Lakeroadster helped several of us out w/an engineering perspective. With his input, I realized the c-notched area of my frame was much weaker than stock (which is much weaker than I anticipated).

I figured that modified area of frame would be about the same strength as stock w/the thicker .250" material for the home-made notch & the inside boxing. After running the specs through some calculations, the results were scary.

So, I asked more questions & started contemplating various options. I went ahead & cut up the same area on another frame to get the contours necessary to build a 'truss' section above the c-notches. This will add the much needed height for strength while keeping the flow of the frame.

I did a bunch of measuring, cutting, measuring, cutting, grinding, measuring, grinding..... well you get the idea . After all the effort, I have the outer portions of the trusses complete & tacked in place. I started cutting some re-inforcement plates that will be welded in between the original frame & the new sections to help tie things together better. Hopefully I'll get them trimmed down for a good fit & start welding things up during the week.

All the various clamps & steel is to ensure the new sections are square w/the top of the original frame while remaining square to each other. The proof is in the pics....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 04-04-2010 at 02:02 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote