View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
Kim57

Re: My 57 Pro Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
That looks nice! Very clean and simple, which I like alot.

I'm doing a very similar set-up on mine, but I'm not putting the master cylinder so far back because my air ride stuff is going to really take up all the space in the front side of the bed where your master cylinder is mounted.
Could you move your air ride stuff on the opposite side of your frame?

Does the pushrod on the forward side of your Hydroboost unit flop around?
It felt like it was on a swivel until I got everythying together. The pedal works really nice and it has very little side movement.

Mine feels like it's on a swivel, and I think I might have to build a support to keep it in alignment with the rest of the linkage.
I think as long as you keep everything in a straight line it should be fine. My rod is right at 36" long and the action feels solid

With the DOM, does it feel really sturdy and does the pedal move nice and free when you depress the piston in the master cylinder? Yes it works really nice.

It looks like it will work great to me, but because I'm still in the planning stage, I have to ask. My whole episode started when I mocked up the headers and the 3" tubing was really tight to both the master cylinder and the transmission. The transmission can't be moved, so my plan is to try to move the braking system as close to the framerail as I can. I'm trying to give myself as much room as possible because I'm such a detail freak and I want the exhaust tubing placement to be a mirror image from the driver's and passenger side. I'm using a TCI universal pedal assembly and it looks like I might be able to cut it back off and build a new mounting bracket. The brake linkage is only going to be about 18" long, and I've got a stick of chromemoly that will work. I'm thinking that I might build a bellcrank set-up with an offset. I'm about 2 weeks away from tackling this, and I'll post pictures with the results.

If you have the means, I would highly suggest putting in a mock-up block, heads, and transmission and test fit your headers right now while you've got the cab off. I thought I had tons of room until I mocked everything up. I'm also going with a 3" exhaust with mandrel bends and v-band clamps, and that stuff takes up space. Are you going big block or small block?
I'm running a big block. I've already figured on custom headers. I hope I can get the exhaust to run along the outside of the frame and exit behind the cab. I think there will be enough room between the frame and the steps. I will just have to modify the front cab mount for it to go through it.

I like your truck alot. I live in Southern California too, and maybe one day I'll be able to check it out in person. There's a whole bunch of us that should all get together for a roadtrip when we finish up our rides (Kabwe, KustomBrad, yourself, and lots of others)
We should try and meet at the Brothers show if you can make it. I've met Kabwe and Tri5 there.
I see your in Apple Valley. We almost bought a house out there in 1980.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote