View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

Re: looking for pinion/yoke angles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnit3 View Post
Im trying to find any info on proper way to set pinion angle. Im swapping in a 14bff into a half ton 72 long box on about 4" lift running 350-sm326-205 if its relevent. I need to know:

What surface should my angle finder should be measuring from (the face of the yoke?)?
Along the pinion centerline. You can approximate this by putting something in the u joint cup and setting your angle gage on that - or - by going perpendicular off the face of the pinion (where the u joint straps mount) - or - sometimes that casting flange on the case is a good approximation.

Quote:
What should the angle be relative to? the ground? the yoke at the transfer case? the driveline?
Not the ground. You are interested in the working angle formed by the two components.

Quote:
Is the slope my truck is resting on, a problem in determining proper pinion angle? What do I need to take into consideration if so?
Nope - the working angles would be the same if the truck was upside down or on it's side ( it would just be harder to measure) because you are going to subtract the angle of one thing (like the driveshaft) from the angle of the other (like the pinion).

Quote:
Is the a General ideal angle?
For leaf springs I think it's like 3 - 7 degrees, so that as the pinion winds up during acceleration the angle tends to straighten out.

Quote:
Thats about all... oh, one more. Its my understanding this measurement is to be taken at ride height? does it matter?
Yep. Do it at ride height.

See if any of this helps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
What you are really interested in is the "U joint working angle". You want to know the angle the U joint sees.

Therefore, it's the difference between the raw angle of the drive shaft and the raw angle rear axle pinion nose.

I've never said this publicly before but - ideally you would want that to be straight (ie, zero) EXCEPT then the u joint would brinnell the rollers into the cap and either make noise or cause a failure.

Fortunately, it's never going to end up straight anyway, because of the static angles required to make the connections and because of the dynamic changes in angle due to load under accel/decel.

Having said all that: for a "four link" car (ie, not leaf spring) I'd want the rear u joint working angle to be between one and three degrees, and ideally would want it to cancel out with the front (trans/prop) u joint working angle.

To answer your question specifically: assuming the drive shaft is angled 5 degrees down (as you follow it towards the axle), then the pinion nose of the rear axle should be 3 degrees up, giving a difference of 2 degrees.

My $.03.

K

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-14-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote