View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #190
SCOTI

Re: Project: Recycle

I got a little more done tonight but didn't take any pics.

I wanted to add some reinforcement plates for the R&P notches which requires some 're-work' the pass side front frame rail where the OE idler arm mounts on 67-72 frames (earlier frames don't have the dimples for the idler arm).

My plan is to sandwhich the original portion of the frame immediately surrounding the notch between 2pcs of .1875" steel. This requires the frame to be as flat as possible so those 'dimples' had to go. I removed that portion of the frame & replaced it w/some flat steel (I used a section of the scrap frame for the flat piece).

While re-working the area, I re-shaped the area on the top of the frame rail where it curved 'up' (I believe this was OE for fuel pump clearance on 292's & 396's). I flattened the top portion of the frame to be symmetrical w/the driver side. I also trimmed the rails up a little for a nice clean edge when transitioning from the upper a-arm/bag mount to the radiator core support area of the frame rails.

I got the outside portion of the rail cleaned up after the welds were cooled; still need to do the inside. I also made my templates for the plates that will sandwhich the notches. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-05-2010 at 01:06 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote