View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #74
LEEVON

Re: Project "Popeye"

Another weekend that I didn't plan to get anything done but it just happened. We spent the weekend in Branson, figured I would be napping this afternoon but I can't be stopped! The rear suspension is the next big task, and I've been wanting to mock-up a trailing arm rear end. I put an ad on Craigslist and came home with the entire rear half of a coil-spring truck today for $50. The gentleman that I got it from had the same idea and was going to use it for an earlier truck, maybe '39? and was glad I had the same idea so he also threw in some new bushings, pivot bolts, u-bolts, axle pads and the crossmember he had began to fabricate! What a great deal, if you read this Patrick, big thanks!

Some grinding and a couple of hours later with help from my neighbor I had it all torn apart and ready to mock-up on my frame. I've been talking to Nathan Porter about using one of his set-ups modified for this frame but I did a budget check this week and it's getting a little out-of-hand so I might need to make some adjustments. I also realized that my frame is not near as nice after the blasting as I thought it would be so factory stuff will not be out-of-place at all.

Anyway, this looks like it will easily fall into place. The crossmember will need to be shortened and welded or bolted to boxing plates. It will sit lower than it is now and I don't see any issues with the arms hitting the other crossmember. I will also be using 2" blocks and c-notches, the only unknown is driveshaft clearance. Check out the bed mount plate that I cut off the top of the old frame and flipped upside down for an upper bag mount, fits like butta!

Last edited by LEEVON; 05-16-2010 at 11:48 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote