View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Colins53

53 Five Window Beach Cruiser Build Thread

Hello all,

I recently joined the board as I acquired a 53 Chevy Five Window in need of restoration a few weeks back. It is a fairly original truck in really rough shape. Spent its life on a farm and sat outside untouched for some time. It has a 6 cylinder from a 55 in it and a 4-speed on the floor. Other than that, all original. Originally red, now painted a very rough black. No interior. As far as metal, all of the typical spots require attention.....the fenders need small patches, but are ok, the bed needs the cab-side panel, but is also ok. The cab is another story. It needs floors, corners, inside lower doors and touch ups on the firewall. The frame is good, hood is good and the grill is shot. I am debating keeping the cab and repairing vs. buying one in better shape. I hate to see one that could be fixed go to the crusher. Guess it just comes down to a decision on how much time I want to spend on it, but any thoughts are welcome.

The plan is to make this truck a beach cruiser. Not a show truck, but not a rat rod. Somewhere in between. Something I won't be upset to see a scratch on as I plan on driving it. I plan on hauling my long boards, kayaks and possibly even jet ski's with it. That being said, I have read through many of the threads floating around regarding rear end swaps, front end swaps, air ride, etc.....and I am pretty comfortable with my plan for addressing the issues with the truck. I do have two questions I would like to ask. 1) Any thoughts on retaining my 55 motor and 4 speed vs. the LT or LS swap? How do these 235's run with a rebuild and a mod or two? I know the 55 is more desirable than the 53 and I don't feel I need an LS in this truck and the swap might be a big time killer, but I the power must be acceptable, so I am considering the option. I guess reliability is also a consideration. Thoughts? 2) My goal is to keep as much of the work in-house as possible. I am not a novice, but by no means a professional. I have many of the tools required, but are there any areas you guys feel must/should be done by a professional shop? Either due to the importance in the quality or for the purposes of time? This will be the most extensive restoration I have done so far.

Thanks guys for the great build threads. This is an incredible site for information and inspiration. I attached a pic of the front from when I got it home.
Attached Images

Last edited by Colins53; 05-17-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Colins53 is offline   Reply With Quote