View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #25
Super73

Re: Make my truck hook!!

Not always.. You could argue excessive front travle is wasted energy too.

I believe having a vehicle set up as loose as needed (with out being too loose) to make work is the best. The way to do this in my opinion is with light long springs in both locations, using a good adjustable shock. Knowing how to adjust rear suspension for squat/antisquat under varying track conditions and what effects that has on front suspension. Understanding when to loosen up the front vs the back.

Again, squat is a characteristic of your instant center of gravity in relationship to your center of gravity. If your instant center of gravity line passes above your center of gravity height above the front axle, you are going to induce antisquat no matter what spring you have in the rear (just might not raise as much). If your ICG is bellow your CG, you are going to induce squat, no matter what spring you have in there (just might not squat as much).

The higher the + antisquat number is, the more sepperation your going to create and the more it will force the rear tires in to the ground.
The lower the antisquat number the more squat your going to create and the more energy you will loose in the suspension.

If your trying to make something hook in the dirt, then yes put a ton of squat in it with a very light long spring in the rear and your shock in the loosest setting. Also put a very light long spring in the front and set your shock to the loosest setting. You will have a ton of weight xfer and not hit the rear tires as hard.

If you want it to work on a good hooking track, react fast on the hit (not have to leave on the 1st yellow) then put some antisquat in that thing and loosen the front only to where you need it. If the track starts going away, loosen up the front some more. If it's still going away, lower your ICG to get some squat in it.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49

Last edited by Super73; 05-26-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote