View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
SCOTI

Re: 'Out of Sight' Truck Tool Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Hey Scoti I too have searched for a tool box but they all seem to be wrong dimnsionally. When I find one that has the right footprint it is too tall. I have decided that when I get to the point that I am ready to buy one I will "chop it".I bought a cheapo plastic Stanley lock box for the wife's Jeep Wrangler to throw all our gear in. I too wanted it below the line of sight so I cut it down to size. We removed the rear seat and it pretty much fills the back of the Jeep.. pretty darn handy actually.

Toolboxes are crazy expensive... geeze! Anyway thought I'd throw my "hack it" idea out there. Seems like any and everything I buy for my truck I have to modify.
In my post above I referred to just this idea
Quote:
I was considering 'lowering' the box so the lid is flush w/the bed rail but the cost of a new box plus having to cut it up is a bitter pill.....
I figured I would find a box that best uses the available space but is too tall & then section the box to my exact height requirement. The job-site style boxes are made w/16 to 12ga steel & would be easy enough to work with. I just hate the idea of having to spend $600 for a new box only to have to chop it up for my needs (labor + time + materials = an even more expensive box)..... I just couldn't find any used boxes & 10% off that new box @ TS didn't seem enough (looks like someone ran into the front of the box w/a pallet-jack).

I'd lke to think great minds think alike?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-09-2010 at 09:10 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote