View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #37
Scot_Douglas

Re: Starting my first build - 1966 C10

Update!

Between keeping the woodstove hot and making Thanksgiving dinner, I started to tear into the 66.

Door off and removing the seat:

Sweet! Build sheet for my truck! :d:

Removed the "Bomb" from the passenger area. Fuel tank is getting relocated to the rear of the truck.

Very surprised to see this much structure left on a 44 y/o truck:

Note the shiny body-bolt; though it is pretty here, once I removed it, I found that it was "rusted down" to about half its original thickness. **** safety, anyway...

I really was happy with the floor - but it's hosed @ the door sill area:

About a 5lb clump of filler schticking the rear of the fender to the bracket. I couldn't get to all the bolts, so I zipped it off. Note: Cutoff wheel + ?? y/o bondo smells like poop. Literally.

A bit more room to work now...

Spotwelds marked for drilling,

Old vs. New

Inner rocker / floor rot

Cutting out rotted areas, more damn spotwelds and what-not:

Where it sits right now.

I need to get the rear cab corner cut off and see how it looks under the rust - the replacement floor panels I have go from the front cab seam, all the way to the rear cab corner. This side of the truck is awesome, compared to the other side - I may not have to use the full piece.

I don't think I'll be so lucky, though.

Came to a decision on the bed too: cutting 6" off the rear of the frame allows the bed to "fit" the frame (more or less, LOL) - and the wheels end up being set 3" too far back. Current planned solution is to redo the rear suspension with a 3-link and coilovers to scoot the axle 3" forward.
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote