View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #96
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Got a lot done the last few days the wife has been out of town. My buddy Bill, who is a much better fabrication that I, did a great job on the rear trans mount. Rather that move the cross member back a few inches and drill 8 new holes in the frame he fabbed up a bracket where the trans cross member was able to stay in the original spot.

Had a hell of a time bleeding the clutch and finally determined Napa gave me a bad clutch master cylinder. Not only did it not build pressure but the rod was 1” longer than the right master cylinder. It must have been misboxed as the first one and the latest one were the same part number but physically different.

Also got the driveshafts reworked Thursday. The front shaft had to be lengthened and the rear had to be shortened. I had been running a bastard u-joint to use the 1/2 ton driveshaft with the 14FF every since the axle was installed 15 years ago (I only broke 1 of those bastard U-joints in 15 years and that was right after the 8.1L was installed). Since the shaft was going through surgery I had them change the shaft end so I can run a standard big beefy solid cross lube for life u-joint.

All the fluid are topped off with no visible leaks yet. All that really needs to be done is install the ORD twin shifter, front shaft, skid plate and finish up the rust repair on the floorboard then ship it off the Rhino line shop. One drag is I won’t see the seats for a few more weeks.

Oh, yeah….a gallon of Syncromesh fluid for the NV4500 was $51! That is crazy!

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote