View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
regan wilson

Re: Rollcage pics anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Regan,, I surely wouldn't argue with someone of your calibure, and you see the toughest tech in NHRA so I'm 'asking' here, not arguing. The way I read the rules was that IF the vehcle has a 'frame' the main hoop and front down bars must be attached to the frame, not the floor (with plates) via outriggers of some sort. I did much the same as rattelon (and is probably the only thing I thought was 'legal' at all about my cage!!)

(darnit, can't link the picture from above)

Are you saying the main hoop and front down bars of the cage don't have to attach to the 'frame'? That would be Soooo much easier!
Yes thats what I'm saying . When we built my cage I consulted with longtime Div 4 tech man Harold Hayes through the whole process . I even had him check it before we painted it . When we were done it certified to 7.50 now it is an 8.50 becuase of rule changes (a funny car cage would be needed). I'm not nocking the way any one has done thiers . I think if you didnt have the steel floor you would for sure have to have the outriggers . Since mine has the stock steel floor and the cab is solid mounted to the frame I guess it met thier requirements . The only bars I have that go to the frame are the front and rear strut bars and the down bars behind the seat . I have never had even one problem about the cage at any track from Texas to Geargia to Chicago and all the other places in between.