View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #31
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Rollcage pics anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan wilson View Post
Yes thats what I'm saying . When we built my cage I consulted with longtime Div 4 tech man Harold Hayes through the whole process . I even had him check it before we painted it . When we were done it certified to 7.50 now it is an 8.50 becuase of rule changes (a funny car cage would be needed). I'm not nocking the way any one has done thiers . I think if you didnt have the steel floor you would for sure have to have the outriggers . Since mine has the stock steel floor and the cab is solid mounted to the frame I guess it met thier requirements . The only bars I have that go to the frame are the front and rear strut bars and the down bars behind the seat . I have never had even one problem about the cage at any track from Texas to Geargia to Chicago and all the other places in between.
That's why it's so valuable having guys like you around here I know well the NHRA techs at the national events are HELL on every little detail and you are PROOF we don't 'have to have' the out-riggers off the frame for the main hoop. I read the book just as so many others have I guess, and built 2"x3" frame extensions to support the main hoop and front cage bars. If I had realized I could have welded them to the floor on a plate........ wow what a LOT of work I caused myself.

Oh well,,, when I make the cage 'legal' it's going to be a heck of a lot easier now!!!!

Only question is if having stock rubber cab mounts would make any difference in tech opinion there. You say your cab is solid mounted I assume with a solid aluminum body bushing replacing the stock rubber mount?

ummm now on second thought....... I guess now unfortunately I have compromised the stock steel floor board by cutting over sized holes for the uprights to go through. Before I could weld a cage / plate to it I probably would have to replace the piece of floor back to 'stock'. Tech can be so darn picky about things like that. Simply replacing the area with a patch of like 12g sheet stitched in,,,,, bet they will balk unless it's an OEM 'appearing' piece of floor. In my case I think the damage is done and the outriggers sure don't hurt from a strength issue.

But you guys who have yet to hack the floor to put a cage in,, should TAKE NOTE OF THIS THREAD

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote