View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #34
mlc216

Re: 54 chevy boards on the floor build

In my never ending search to practice fabbing things and save money at the same time I decided to use the GM tilt steering column that came with the s10 frame and my 54 pickup body. Well I know how you guys feel about tilt columns and it was just down right hideous to begin with. So, I decided to fab my own steering column using the gm column and a few metal pieces I had laying around. Here's what I started with:

And here is an article to help get it apart:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

Using that info I was able to get the shaft out and here's what I'm working with:

On the left is a scrap piece of 1" DOM tubing, in the middle is the steering column shaft that I've already cut into a few pieces, and on the right is actually a galvanized chain link fence post. I think the sticker said 1-5/8" but it may be like 2". I'll have to check on that later and get back.*

So I cut the top of the shaft into a few pieces so I could flip the bearing race around.*
Original order

New order

Then I slid the DOM tubing over the shaft hammered it flat on the sides and welded it all the way around.*

Then I flipped the next piece around and slid it into the DOM

Then I welded the splined end back on.*

Overall for my application I think i ended up lengthening the shaft 3-4"
I used a bearing race from the original column that magically fit and I dimpled the tubing under the race so it wouldn't slide down.*

Last but not least I sleeved the lower part of the original column over the new tube because it holds a bushing and gives me a flange to mount to the firewall. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the bottom side with the original bushing and clip attached

And here it is mocked up*

Once I get a suitable steering wheel, I'll build a trim piece around the top of the column. And once I build floorboards and the lower half of the firewall I'll finish the flange and bolt it in. Tomorrow I'm going to build a hanger for the column under the dash.*

Hope this can help someone! It cost me nothing and it looks a ton better than the tilt column!*
mlc216 is offline   Reply With Quote