View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #62
k1rodeoboater

Re: The Good, The Bad and Ugly from Harbor Freight

their bolt/nut splitters are crap...stripped mine trying to split a nut.

Once I have a place of my own I plan on getting one of their rolling service carts with drawers to hold my tools (I don't have much so it all should fit...maybe). I've looked at a few of the other brands out there and they seem like the best deal even if you have to upgrade the hardware and/or wheels.

Their grinders take a beat and keep on going. I literally ran mine for over an hour straight without turning it off stripping who knows how many layers of paint off of my rear bumper with a flap disc. It got hot but didn't give up, and I'm still using it. I'm sold on them.

I have a 90 degree drill that I got from my dad from them. It's a corded version, and honestly it's pretty dang handy to have sometimes. I've had no issues with it either. It drilled through my cross sills fine which impressed me, I figured I would have killed it. I'm probably going to pick up a regular corded drill from them sometime just to have both. The 90 is good for tight places but sucks to use a wire wheel with (won't ever use one on a grinder again...sorta got one stuck/siezed on there once)

hammers...well a hammer is a hammer is a hammer. I beat stuff with it and I don't care.

prybars with the black handles have been invaluable, got a 6 piece kit and find I really only use the middle length ones (12" gets the most use). The large ones are better replaced with a good ole crowbar IMHO.

Chisel with hand guard. I bought it as a disposable tool. It's edge is starting to fold, but I don't care. I only use it to finish off breaking nuts or screws off that I've partially cut with a cutoff wheel

breaker bar....LOVE IT

1/2 ratchet....LOVE IT

Impact sockets....LOVE IT and going to get the deep wells on my next trip for sure. Instead of buying normal sockets I'm just going to go with impacts for the time being since they can be used as normal ones

Impact extensions....LOVE IT

wire loom, body panel shims, automotive blade fuse sets, grommets, ect all are awesome. I will burn a 20% off coupon on them if I don't have anything else to use it on.

4 way tire iron...it's a tire iron with four heads...kinda hard to screw that one up.

sanding sponges...they're cheapest there

1000 and 1500 grit wet sanding paper...only place that has it in town

Brown unlined welding gloves...haven't used them yet but they have felt the best to me of all the ones I've tried. I actually have some tactile feel with them. Will they last...time will tell, but they're also the cheapest ones I've found locally that I like.

Screwdrivers....can't complain about them. I have yet to break one or round it out like some have said. The tips are magnetic I've found out. I've not been kind to mine either. I've used the flat blades as pry bars/wedges and the phillips as punches. If I do break one or lose one I don't really care because the whole set of 26 or something like that was $8 with a coupon.

thumb wheel ratchets....they're handy but rarely get used

wire wheels/cups....I buy them there because I doubt the better brands will last much longer anyways. Maybe I'm wrong, but it saves me an extra trip.

1/2 torque wrench...I use it all the time and it's accurate. I had it checked for calibration and it was dead on. funny though how the next one down is more expensive (the one that goes up to 40 or 20 ft/lbs).

vac gauge/fuel pressure tester....it works well enough

Free voltmeters...I've got like 6 of them...for FREE...can't complain.

Free flashlights...love the damn things, have them all over the place and they last a good long while too.

Free leather work gloves...again it's free...can't complain. Use them when handling rusty metal and stuff. I have another set that I take with me when we do jumps in case I land in a tree and have to climb down my reserve. That way if they fly out of my cargo pocket 1200 ft up I don't really care.

random orbital sander...I've used the crap out of it and it still keeps going. I recommend it. It only costs $20 IIRC and you can get the velcro backed paper for it anywhere since it's a standard size.

stud welder and slide hammer....stud welder works great...slide hammer sucks and I wonder how good the studs are since they all popped off pretty easily.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote