View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #38
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Re: what are you guys getting for mpg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2wd ext cab, 5.3L/4L60E

I have a small PCM tuning business so I wrote a mild 87 octane safe computer tune and I'm averaging 23mpg of mixed city & hwy but mostly in town surface streets.

I've disabled all of the torque limiting tables, all the ignition timing retard control tables (except for knock), removed all the electronic throttle limiters and dialed back TM. I figured any time ignition timing gets retard it's wasting fuel due to reduced power output.

I've reserved the DOD until 60mph and it shuts off with more than 10% throttle. I added a couple more degrees of timing and redid the transmission shift tables with the TCC apply tables. I've drastically increased the TCC PWM % minimums so there won't be nearly as much slip allowed in the drivetrain without making the TCC feel like the trans shifted into another gear.

I modified the air box to grab air from the space in front of the wheel well. Next I'm thinking of cutting out that big OE muffler and just welding in a 18" magnaflow for sound. The straight through design should help with exhaust scavenging in an otherwise stock system too.
This may be one of the best written posts I've read. Interesting
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote