View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #79
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: My 87 K5 Blazer project

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTyphoonKid View Post
I painted the grill myself. How should I do the exhaust? With headers? I'm planning on doing 2 1/2" to 3" pipe but haven't decided on what mufflers I should go with.
Oh, don’t do headers Korey. For what little HP you actually gain from headers they are not worth the hassles of dealing with the never ending exhaust leaks, burn wires, overheated starter motors or the cost to purchase them and install them. Stick with exhaust manifolds, dual pipes (don't for get to add an O2 bung) with some nice mufflers. I went with the Thrush Flowmaster knockoffs last time I did the exhaust behind my 8.1L and it sounds mellow at an idle or cruise but gets a set of lungs when you poke it in the neck. What I found really makes the exhaust sound nice is adding a crossover pipe. I swear the engine even revs up smoother during acceleration.

I would recommend no more than 2.5 pipe on a gas engine or you start to lose bottom end torque. My 8.1L breaths just fine through manifolds and 2.5 pipe. Even at the height of the muscle car era they were running dual 2.5 pipe with manifolds behind high HP shag nasty big blocks. Headers (and big 3" pipe) are overrated!

BTW….nice Blazer you have there!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote