View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #33
londoncalling

Re: 1970 Chevrolet Suburban: Project "Beach Wagon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Rat View Post
its an idea and not sure how it'll work out or look for that matter... but what about rear (middle row) mini van seats? use 4 of them or 6 if you want a 3rd row. just have them redone in whatever material you like
71 - thanks for the idea. As a matter of background, my thinking on the seats was based on three objectives: 1) increased safety by raising the shoulder line and including a headrest, 2) passenger seats that fold completely flat for practical purposes, and 3) aesthetics (when completed, the seats have to look like late 60's / early 70's seats).

Using modern seats certainly covers points 1 and 2, but not point 3. To shape of the seat gives it that period look. The seats were lightly bolstered, headrests were low, wide and deep with a center stem. So modifying period seats seemed a better starting place than modern seats.

I wanted to mount these seats to a budy bucket frame up front and a custom bucket seat setup in the rear (eactly as Hart_Rod has done). So now I'm thinking of copying Hart_Rod's set exactly but modifying the passenger seat frames to accept a current reclining mechanism, adding a headrest but skipping the shoulder raising exercise. That would simplify the project, but with these modifications I start to worry about the seats providing the necessary support in the event of an accident.
londoncalling is offline   Reply With Quote