Thread: swb 383
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: swb 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Gibbs View Post
......... i have probe forged pistins but my rods are the thing im worried about. they are elgin 6in I beam rods with arp rod bolts. they are forged just not sure what they can handle. ....
Dont get caught up in the H-beam I-beam argument. If you find one expert saying I-beams are the stronger,, give him 90 days and he will be professing H-beams are better,,, and vice versa. As far as them being "Elgin",,, I don't know much about them other than they apparently fall in the same catagory as / are part of the same company / founder as "CAT" (if you do a internet search). IMO CAT doesn't even qualify for scrap matal!! Everything I have ever seen with the CAT brand logo on it for the SBC has been total JUNK. In that light I'd be looking for a better rod before I did anything. Today most all rods are forged in China and shipped out in bulk to be finished by some offshore, and some domestic brand names. I run a Oliver I-beam in my Nova motor, and cheepie Eagle H-beams in this latest truck motor. I wouldn't be surprised if both originated in the same Chineese foundary! How a rod blank is examined, machined and finished is what makes the difference between a $1700 set of Olivers, a $800 set of Eagle or a $300 set of rods. My gut says you get what you pay for in rods. I think your wise to question the Elgin stuff

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote