View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #36
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Re: !965 Chevy C-10 Take 2: Project Tanya

Thanks guys. Yeah, even I can't believe how well the Caddy cleaned up. The pictures from my phone hide a lot of the paint issues, and the interior has wear in it in most places one would expect. Even still she is in outstanding condition given the circumstances of her slumber, and that Caddy 390 engine purrs like you wouldn't believe. I love old big cars, and have always wanted one though I was never brand specific, just wanted an old cruiser. The car is actually my wife's 100%, and it is all up to her the direction it takes (my clain to ownership is only as far as the guy that builds the car ). So far she really wants to keep her mostly stock, with a few classic custom style touches. The whole car is likely to get a pearl white paint (like the newer Lexus or Cadillac pearls whites), with either a candy red or dark candy pinkish red top (either one would have a very heavy metal flake). The wheels will likely stay sock with some detailed and polished caps since neither of us like large diameter wheels, and most of what's available aftermarket doesn't really fit the car or our style. For the time being we are likely going to just cut a coil or two from the factory springs to get her a little lower. The drivetrain is going to stay as close to factory as we can keep it, the 390 runs great and pulls strong, and the transmission shifts solid and smooth. We'll probably just rebuild them as needed. Brakes are factory power drums with a dual master cylinder, and stop the car REALLY fast, so they will probably stay as well. Plus those huge finned drums are just cool. The interior is the must undecided part for now. She really loves the classic Caddy style, so whatever we do will probably closely resemble the stock interior. May be in a newer high quality leather, or a fabric to match the original, but the cream and chocolate colors that are in there will remain. The steering wheel on this thing is incredible, so we're going to have to find someone who can repair the cracks in the wheel and basically restore it, changing it out to something else would be a crime. She wants to add an aftermarket AC system since the car doesn't have AC, and we will add a hidden audio system using a Retro Sound deck to fit the factory dash. She really wants to keep it a comfy cruiser and weekend driver. And who can blame her? This thing is just stunning all by itself! Thanks a lot for the interest guys, when I get enough pictures together to start a new thread in the "alternate tinkerings" section, I'll put a link in my signature for anyone to follow along with us.

Back to Tanya: Once the sun starts heading down tonight, I am heading out to the shop for some prep work on the replacement grill I have for her. I really hope to have her in primer at least tonight. I'll take some more pics as I go.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote