Thread: Desert Trip III
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Desert Trip III

Looks like fun Monty! I am not sure I would want to do many of those on an ATV. It seems like a that area requires a bit more wheel base, width and height than an ATV can offer.

Well, we made it home Saturday evening around 5 PM.

The trip came in at 7 days and 1,480 round trip with a 12 MPH average speed for the entire trip according to my SPOT GPS, which includes the 60-80 MPH speeds on the highways. That said, we did a lot of low speed crawling for days!

The only trail damage suffered was the front stabilizer bar bracket at the frame broke on the driver’s side. That certainly made for an interesting drive back home! The Toyota Troopie lost an A/C idler while the Dodge came out completely unscathed.

I am impressed with the Phoenix camper as it hung on to the truck like a glove and everything worked great but I won’t lie…. You can definitely tell it is back there. In some cases the extra weight helped out in the traction department very well. On the other hand, the first POS coming off of this truck is the ORD twin stick 205 shifter. That POS may work fine for a rock crawler or a mud pit beater but not a long haul outback adventure vehicle. Every few miles it falls out of low and that is only when the linkages aren’t vibrating off. Very annoying. Then there was the fan rubbing on the fan shroud on steep climbs. No matter which way I adjusted that dang thing it would rub just enough to sound like something was coming apart. I never had an issue with the fan shroud before so I am thinking the heavy weight on the back was doing something to cause this. You’ll hear it in a few videos.

After 24 hours on the Kokopeli trail to the Top of the World we headed to Moab Sunday to meet up with another friend. From there we stocked up on supplies and spent one night near Moab along a river. What a stinky, mosquito invested campsite that was. Monday moring we headed to the White Rim trail. Not sure how many of you are familiar with the White Rim trail, which is the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands. This is on National Park land so ATV’s are not allowed here. I actually don’t think an ATV could pack enough fuel, food and lodging supplies to get down into this area anyway plus to road and terrain would be easier and safer in a bigger vehicle. The White Rim trail is normally a large loop but the Mineral Bottom area is flooded so you can go ¾ around the loop then must turn back. We took two full days getting in to the furthest point on our plan (Potato Bottom) but it took 8 hours to crawl out of there Wednesday.

The files are still loading to Youtube and Flickr. I’ll post a some pictures up once they are finished.

This is a spot is about 5 hours into the White Rim trail.

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote