View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Super73

Re: Best headand cam combo for 421 SBC

Marv,

I agree that is a lot of duration for that rpm, but keep in mind a hyd cam is also rated differently than a solid. Hyd generally uses .006" lift for the total duration points where a solid often uses .020". The cam in my truck right now is a solid roller grind but I run hyd lifters on it. I forget exactly how much duration got added to the deal (I can look when I get home), but it was somewhere around 20* for each lobe.

There are pros and cons for both cams. The added duration of a hyd roller generally loses you some bottom end and driveability, but gains you a more "maintainence free" motor. I know I'm not telling you anything new here.

Let's talk spring pressures on a hyd cam for a moment.
What makes running 400lbs on a solid ok but not for a hyd? Once the hyd lifter is supplied oil, the liquid inside is uncompressable. The only area that I can see high spring pressures being a big issue, the possible side loading a hyd lifter could have since it does not have any lash (right as the lifter is accelerated). Maybe on start up to, from lifter bleed down, until oil pressure is up.

The last is something that I do here with my motor every time I fire it after sitting for a few days. But I'm running well over 400lbs on the hyd lifters.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote