View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Re: NV4500 will it fit??

Weren't the 88 and up 4x4 trucks driver side drops? That means you can't use the TC, or you need a Ford front diff.

There's a guy on pirate4x4.com (I may have the site name off a bit) that fabs up adapters for the earlier NP205 TC to the round mount on the NV4500. I bookmarked it but nuked the OS and although its backed up somewhere, I'll never find it. Go to pirate4x4 and search the forums for nv4500 adapter or similar if you want.

The adapter is something like $400 which is way less than the one from AA, etc.

Of course there's the option of locating a late NP205 with the round mount and the right spline count, but they're a bit rare.

I have an NV4500 in the garage attic I hope to use one day on my truck. I have a NP208 in the truck now that supposedly bolts up to it, but of course a 205 would be more traditional and stronger.

Then you get into the hydraulic clutch and deciding whether to convert to mechanical or keep it as is. The trans won't bolt to an early bellhousing.

Both driveshafts have to be redone I'd guess too.

All these things start to add up to a fair amount of change...

Search around this site for NV4500 and you'll find a few threads. One guy in CO did a conversion this or last year on a square and did a series of posts on the adventure. He seemed to know what he was doing and may have done it before if I remember right.

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 10-06-2011 at 11:47 PM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote