View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #102
ScottyB

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Looked through all your photos and I have to say I thought the truck looked pretty good before you did anything! Now it just looks better. A couple more questions if you don't mind:

The Mustang tank has a collet or ring type mount for the sender (MOst old Ford tanks do so I assume its the same) but the Chevy sender has the five bolt holes to mount it so how'd you get these two to "marry up"? Can you post a close up photo? Are the TCI rear springs "lowering springs"? If so, how many inches and then you added a lowering block also? Any issues with hitting, rubbing, anything? How is the front lowered, I saw no pic's.
I used the Mustang tank ring for fuel pickup only. I took the float off of it. For the gas gauge I use the stock chevy sender. By crazy luck the Mustang tank already had a circular rib in it on the top of the tank in one corner (see pic below). I used a hole saw to drill the tank then used the stock chevy rubber gasket and self tapping screws to mount it. I measured the depth of the mustang tank and bent the stock chevy sender arm in an 'S' shape by wrapping in half way around a large deep well socket in different directions until the float arm was shortened to the correct swing distance to match the mustang tank.

I believe the TCI springs are lowering but yes I then added 4" blocks. There has been no rubbing or hitting at all. The fenders are 2" wider than stock and those 295/45/20 tires have a really stiff sidewall since they are for heavy SUVs. One thing to note is I have a 54 bed mounted on a 51 frame so the frame has the humps in it where it goes over the rear end. Between the factory humps and the C notch kit there was plenty of clearance. My only complaint about the springs is that they move the rear back some but not far enough to center the wheel in the opening so I have some 1/2" thick, 1" offset plates on it for now until I can get the springs re-drilled.