View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #28
TR65

Re: One More Headlight Relay Thread

Quote:
chevyrestoguy
Outstanding write-up, TR!

Love the pictures with captions and your schematic. I am a huge fan of H-4s, and have used them for years. They are definately a "must-have" upgrade for any old vehicle.
Thanks Chevy!

Quote:
Alan's Classic
Thanks for the write up and inspiration. I used it when I did mine.
Thanks Alan, Your truck is really looking good by the way!!

Quote:
ChiefRocka
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65
....... The lamps are motorized and follow the terrain to keep glare down for oncoming drivers. They also turn left and right following the steering.

TR

So, will this be the next mod to the '65 ??
Chief, The E-code lamps and H4 Hella's work so well I have put that on the back burner, way back.

Quote:
rustyrodknocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyMalo
Great write-up!

I built a similar relay system with Bosch relays for my '60 Olds and it made my lights brighter without changing out the bulbs. I did the same as you with heavier wire and good grounds. It takes the load off the headlight and dimmer switches and you don't get the voltage drop from the switch to the lights.
One trick I pulled on mine was putting a diode between the high and low beam input wires. With the flow going towards the low beam side. This will make the low beams stay on when you hit the high beams. Really nice when you have quad lights.
I have always wondered why these were not this way factory. does anybody know? you have four lights why not have them on?
Without relays the amps would be around 40, with the four lamps on, too much for the switch, and too much for the old generators and alternators. with a modern alternator and relays, should be no problem.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote