View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
chris mc bride

old Burbs and Panels mpg

While talking about my old camaro and the fact that if I kept my foot out of secondarys I actually got as good or better milage than my newer high tech engine(LT-1 was high tect 15 years ago anyway).
I started thinking that with good tune reasonable drivetrain,which isn't normal for us dragracers. It would be possible to get close to or maybe better milage than newer large vehicles,you know those boring a$$ SUVs with the soccer ball on back. Admit we dont have power evertything but we look cool in our old pieces of rolling American automotive history,plus when done they are paid for and only go up in value.
My build stll going on so cant say about milage. I know the 454 with stroker crank isn't going to help,but it will not have to work its butt off towing my race trailer with two dragsters in it.
Powertrain plans are 482 bbc with 10:1 mild towing cam,dual pane intake vacum secondary carb(quadra mess if can find someone to build good running one Kind of black magic thing seems) headers,with dual w/ crossover tubes, turbo 400 with a overdrive unit and either 3.42 or 3.73 gears in rear.
Anything in the mid teens when not towing well be great and if any dbl digit while towing I'll be happy,but then mines little bit of extreme situation with trailer and two cars plus equipment probaly close to 7000 lbs being towed.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote