View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
yousesteers

Re: "Brown Truck" 1984 K30 Crew Cab

Now back to the rest of the truck. After the seats were mounted up and the electric in the driver side wired up so that it would work. I started driving the truck on a pretty regular basis in the spring of this year with small mechanical things getting fixed here and there. I had to do some work on the brakes as lines and slave cylinders would start to leak I think a lot of seals had dried out do to sitting for so long. I stripped all the interior trim out thinking that I would paint it with color bond and put it back in but I just finally got it put back together this week. After driving the truck for a while it developed a low end knock on the motor. All I had done was change the fluids in it and ran it after it had sit for so long I probably should have dropped the oil pan and taken the valve covers off and cleaned the motor of any sludge. I think the knock developed when a oil passage got clogged with some sludge and created a rod knocking. With this developement came the dilemma of what to do. I had already been discussing taking out the 350 and putting a Big block in or a Diesel of soem sort but I thought it woudl be down the line a little bit. After some research and cussing and discussing it was decided to put a 5.9 cummins in it and a 5 speed overdrive transmission so the hunt was on. While looking for a engine I went ahead and pulled the 350 and the 4 speed and transfer case out. Since I had decided to go the cummins route I made the decision to pull the front clip as I did not know how much fabrication would have to take place and this would be easier to get to our work. Here is a picture of the truck sitting out in front of the shop at my parents waiting on the motor.
Attached Images

yousesteers is offline   Reply With Quote