View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #52
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: 400-450hp 355 on a budget?

Pete the $ spent on the dyno is not just for bragging rights,, the time spent tuning the motor is worth MANY TIMES what ever the dyno charge is. I've seen guys chase a tuneup with new carbs and plugs and jet kits, changing carb spacers, distributors, fighting it over and over and over,,,, when an hour on the dyno with a good tuner will START the motors life in the correct tune! it's money well spent.

i.e., I have a good buddy here with a very stout 434 that said he just didn't have the $ 550 to put it on the dyno. But over the 18 months he's been racing this motor I can count well over $2500 in parts and crap he keeps changing and tweeking to try and get it to run up to what he 'thinks' it's potential is. $500 would have told him what the potential is, and tuned it right before the motor ever went in the chassis. Then it's just jet changes for enviornment, not chasing yor tail throwing parts at it to try and find what is right.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote