View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: 07 GMC Sierra Towing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
If you look in your manual, it has a chart that lists towing capacities. The only difference in towing capacities (given the same engine, 4x or not, and body style) is the rear gears. It does not list trans cooler or not, breaking capacity or not, etc., just rear gears.

As Leevon said, the difference is in the gears.
So, if the tonque weight of the trailer exceeds the payload capacity it's still OK as long as you have the proper gears? That's not exactly safe. The gearing listed is based on the capability of the transmission. Check the equipment differences of the trucks with the HD or towing packages.

I would absolutely determine the tongque weight of your trailer. For a trailer that heavy, assuming your trailer has electric brakes, I would recommend using a brake controller (if not, a surge brake), weight distribution hitch and an anti-sway device, The gearing is not going to make a difference in tongue weight, braking capacity, or trailer sway, etc. Keep in mind, just because the truck can pull something doesn't necessarily mean the truck is able to control the load. I've seen too many people lose control of their trailers, and almost everytime, the out of control rig and trailer has damaged other vehicles around them. Be careful.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote