View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #96
theastronaut

Re: '65 Chevy C10 Long Fleet Retrospective Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse970 View Post
WOW! This is an outstanding build, I'm not sure why I am just finding it.
Thanks!

I came across a few more pics from the build while going through my old camera. They're pretty random but I'll post them anyways.

The insides of the tail light and hood light reflectors were coated with fake chrome paint for better reflectivity.

Once the metalwork was done, the edges of all the panels were skim coated and blocked across the panel gaps to get the panel flushness dead even.

To check the straighness of the bodywork before painting, the panels were wetsanded with 500 grit and wiped down with wax/grease remover. This showed up any distortion before paint while there was time to fix it.

Here's a few more pics of the wetsanding process, I didn't show any before of the 1000 grit step. I block sanded the truck with 1000 grit on a long/skinny Durablock and kept a squeegee handy to check progress. This is a before pic showing the orange peel and distorted reflection.

Partially blocked with 1000 grit. There's still some orange peel showing.

Orange peel fully blocked flat. Ready to guide coat and sand with 2000 grit.

Up close pic of the guide coat partially sanded with 2000 grit. The 1000 grit scratches are easily visible. This way you can know when you've sanded just enough without oversanding and risking sanding through the clear coat.

After sanding with 2000/3000 and buffing. Very clear, distortion free surface.

Here's some better pics of the grill shell and fender details. The original ones I posted were dark and poor quality.

The Ooga horn that the owner's dad installed was restored and installed back where it originally was.

And, the last pic I took of it right before the owner came to pick it up.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote