Thread: 48 panel truck
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #31
xpickup

Re: 48 panel truck

reaper71, That looks great. I love the color. It looks close to my sons 1948 truck bed that he sleeps in. I guess only putting a couple pictures up must have worked.

Atommik. Here is how I made the panel. First I took a piece of metal to make the profile of the shape. Then marked (every 1/4 of a inch) the sheet metal so I could brake form it on the brake( small bends to make a radius). Once that was done I put it on the fender to see where I would slice it. Once I sliced it I overlapped the slices. I then marked it so I could cut the overlaps. Cut the overlaps and pushed them together to check the fit. Once I was happy with the fit I tacked the slits together and then ground them flush on both sides. I then took it over to the air planishing hammer and used it to form the radius so the was no flat spots. After that I would weld up all the seams I grind both side again that way it does not mess up the dies on the air planishing hammer. Then run it on the hammer again. Take the disc sander to it and it is ready to weld in.

The last picture is one of the pieces I am making for britnjc. It is the piece for around the windshield for his 1955 chevy truck(AD). I have both sides to do but that is the passenger side. I still have to form it to the profile of the cab, The inner piece is also stretched and shrank to the profile of the inner lip. It is good a have a cab so I can check everything. Then I can weld them together. Then I will make a section of the belt line for under the corner. They do not make any of those pieces for the 54-55 cabs. I already made a rear belt line for him too.

Shannon
Attached Images

xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote